At the crack of dawn next Monday, March 14th, a full bus of 50 Con Mi MADRE mother-daughter teams and staff will be hitting the road for a campus visit to two campuses: Texas A&M University – Corpus Christi and Texas A&M University -Kingsville. The trip also includes lunch in Corpus Christi generously sponsored by Whataburger for all our travelers.
Con Mi MADRE Program Director, Karen Gonzales is excited about the visit to the South Texas campuses.
It’s a great opportunity for our mother – daughter teams to gather a lot of valuable information. We also want to peak our student’s curiosity about a career path.
With the memories of the Con Mi MADRE STEM conference on student’s minds, it will also be fun to explore Texas A&M’s degree programs in science, technology, engineering and mathematics.
Supported by AISD Hispanic Futures, this year’s participants have the opportunity to use this fact finding tour to see if their school is the right fit for them in the next step of their education career. US News & World Report, a valuable source for college and university rankings, says a college campus visit is a great opportunity to speak up and ask questions.
A campus visit will help you gather information about:
- Academic degrees offered
- Student to faculty classroom ratios
- Financial aid, scholarships and tuition costs
- Available academic support: tutoring, advisors, writing centers
- Internship possibilities
- Student life
What are some of the perks to being a student at Texas A&M Corpus Christi or Kingsville? Both schools are part of the prestigious Texas A&M University System. The Corpus Christi and Kingsville schools offer diverse populations with bilingual populations with close proximity to Austin, San Antonio, the Valley and other Texas cities. Plus …
Texas A&M – Corpus Christi
- Has more than 80 degree programs and 5 academic colleges in Business, Education, Liberal Arts, Nursing and Health Sciences, and Science and Engineering.
- Has 11,661 students with a 23:1 student to faculty ratio.
- Students can ride any Corpus Christi RTA bus free with a valid school ID.
- Corpus Christi population is 316,381 and the area has over 113 miles of Gulf Coast beaches.
Texas A&M – Kingsville
- Has approximately 67 degree programs and 5 academic colleges in Business, Education, Engineering, Graduate Studies, and the College of Agriculture, Agribusiness, and Environmental Sciences, Animal, Rangeland, and Wildlife Sciences and Human Sciences.
- Approximately 71% of the faculty hold Ph.Ds.
- Has 8,300 students with a 16:1 student to faculty ratio.
- Awards more scholarships than any other college or university in the region.
- Kingsville, population 25,000. Corpus Christi and their beaches are just 40 miles to the northeast with Mexico only 120 miles to the south at Brownsville or 119 miles to the west at Laredo.
Consider a campus tour to some of your favorite schools and do some fact finding to help you make your college choice easier. Start with an online visit to a school’s website to find out how to schedule your campus tour. To make your visit an easier one, plan several weeks ahead and be sure to ask for a bilingual tour guide and other accommodations you might need, when you schedule your visit.